My Dads Story

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

cosmicegg
    Participant

My dad was one of the coolest people i ever knew. Unfortunately my dad passed away on October 12,2019. He was 66. My dad had diabetes since he was 27 and had kept his diabetes in check till the end.

In September 2019, my dad had bouts of vomiting. The first two local hospital visits the doctors concluded my dad had  stomach flu and then gastroparesis which he had many years before. The third visit resulted in him being transferred to the hospital where my dad had his kidney transplant the previous December. The entire time of his last visit, the doctors were not able to really figure out what was wrong with him. His kidneys were failing, his breathing was not good so he was placed on a ventilator. His blood pressure dropped drastically where pressure agents were the only thing keeping him alive. His alkaline phosphatase was off the charts for the last 4-6 weeks. The doctors suspected he might have cancer prior to his last hospital visit. When he came home from the kidney surgeons NP. He was crying which i rarely ever saw my dad cry. I tried to reassure him that whatever was wrong with him was not his fault.

There was no way of knowing if my dad had cancer till he died because any biopsy could potentially kill him and using contrast dye could end his kidney. The suspected illness at this point before my dad passed was a massive infection. My dad looked shocky and they thought he could be septic with pneumonia since he couldn’t breathe on his own. After my dad passed away in the hospital, an autopsy was performed and they found metastatic liver and lung cancer.

In January, my mom and i found out he had a primary cancer of bile duct cancer. It was devastating and it made me think of life differently since then. I feel bad for my dad because he was dealt a bad hand in life at times and this was a crappy way of going out on top of the other health issues he had. To understand that this type of cancer is rare and that even though my dad’s lifestyle does not seem to match up with this cancer, he still had it. I only knew my dad till the age of 22, but we were the best of friends and with the current COVID-19 pandemic, i miss him more than ever.

I hope that more research can be done to find out about this cancer and that early detection of this cancer can become more of a possibility. I pray for anyone who has had to go though this cancer as the patient and the family members. God bless you all. 

M

Dear Cosmicegg,

Welcome to the AMMF Forum, although we are very sorry to learn that you have lost your Dad to cholangiocarcinoma.

Thank you for taking the brave decision to share your story on the Forum.

Kindest regards

Michaela

Please note it is not appropriate for AMMF to give medical advice or recommendations, and all details provided are for information purposes only.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.