Forum Replies Created
Hope you and your boyfriend are doing ok. My mom got her scan results today and the tumour is ‘dormant’ at the moment. Obviously the docs think this is because of the chemo. She has no more chemo scheduled, they will do another scan in 3 months time and we will have to wait and see what happens. I saw your other post and if you haven’t already asked for second opinion please, please do. When my mom was first diagnosed she was told there was nothing that could be done. We were all ready to ask for a second opinion but the nurse had already done so and the team at the next hospital said there was a chance they could operate if the tumour could be shrunk. Unfortunately that hasn’t happened so far but she’s still here nearly a year on from the first scan. Sending you my best wishes.
- My mom is 75 and was diagnosed in January this year, she’s been having gemcitabine and cisplatin chemo since April. She’s had various side effects but I think she’s managed brilliantly, luckily she’s not had anything too serious which was my main worry. She hasn’t lost her hair (although it has become very thin) she’s had a couple of water infections but the main symptoms she seems to keep getting is trouble sleeping and indigestion, plus recently food and drink doesn’t taste the same so she doesn’t enjoy certain foods anymore. She has two consecutive weekly chemo sessions and sees the oncologist the third week which is where she can tell them about her side effects and they’ve given her various tablets depending on her symptoms. When she had her second scan in March (the first was in Dec the previous year) the tumour had already spread. After a couple of months of chemo the next scan showed it had remained the same so we like to think that it’s at least stopped it from spreading. She’s just had another scan and gets the results next week. It’s an awful situation to be in because you just don’t know if it will be of benefit but perhaps your boyfriend could start the chemo and see how he feels and decide whether to continue after the first scan? I wish you all the luck in the world.
Thanks Paul. Someone somewhere along the line decided the chemo could go ahead without the biopsy. They said they were 99% sure it was bile duct cancer and my mom was relieved she didn’t need the biopsy, I know she didn’t want it done after the initial build up and then cancellation of the first one. I read your post and I hope you’re not in too much pain, sending you my best wishes.
How is your dad doing JW? Mom went for a biopsy today but they said it was too risky. The last scan showed that the cancer has spread so they wanted her to have chemo first and see if they can shrink it. Now we’re not sure what will happen next. Hope your dad is doing well.
She has another appointment for this Thursday. Hopefully we’ll find out what they can do then. I have everything crossed.
I’m so glad your dad is making a good recovery, keep us updated.
Great news! I was thinking about you yesterday wondering how it had gone. My mom had more scans yesterday, now we’re waiting to hear if they will operate. Wishing your dad a speedy recovery 🙂
Thank you, I saw your post about your dads op. I have everything crossed for you, please let me know how it goes.
Thanks guys. We’ve had some good news today, we went back to the hospital to see the nurses who told us they had sent my moms details to the QE hospital in Bham for a second opinion and they think they can opterate to remove the tumour. She has an appointment with them this Friday so we have anything crossed. We know there’s a long way to go and it will be major surgery but it’s hope. I must say the nurses were excellent, I couldn’t do their job, I just burst into tears again when they told us.
Thanks guys. We’ve had some good news today, we went back to the hospital to see the nurses who told us they had sent my moms details to the QE hospital in Bham for a second opinion and they think they can opterate to remove the tumour. She has an appointment with them this Friday so we have everything crossed. We know there’s a long way to go and it will be major surgery but it’s hope. I must say the nurses were excellent, I couldn’t do their job, I just burst into tears again when they told us.