Moms recent diagnosis

Discussion Forum Discussion Forum Introductions Moms recent diagnosis

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  twigsie 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

twigsie
    Participant

My mom is 76 years old and was diagnosed with bile duct cancer last week. She’s been told it’s inoperable and the only option is chemotherapy as a palliative solution. The whole family are devastated and my dad has taken it very hard. The doc has said she may only have months and it’s so hard to accept because she has no symptoms at the moment, it was only discovered after blood tests and a scan after her lower legs were swollen for a short time. My mom is being incredibly brave and I feel so useless because I can’t stop crying. At the moment she’s not keen on the idea of chemo as they need to do a biopsy first and she’s seen the effects that chemo has had on a friend that has cancer at the moment.

Julie_ammf

Dear Twigsie

We are very sorry to here that your mom has had a recent diagnosis of cholangiocarcinoma and it is completely understandable that you are feeling so devastated and upset. There is some useful information on our website regarding treatment options, including a section on chemotherapy. Please follow this link for more details; https://ammf.org.uk/treatment-options-2/

All of us at AMMF are thinking of you and your family, and particularly your mom, at what is such a difficult and worrying time for you all.

With kindest regards

Julie

JW1969
    Participant

Hi Twigsie, so sorry to hear your devastating news. My Dad (75) had three months of two weeks on/one week off Chemo in the Autumn and other than him being a bit tired the next day, he tolerated it remarkably well. By looking at him, you would not have known he was having treatment. He did get one infection mid way but that was sorted out very quickly and otherwise felt well in himself despite the weekly sessions. It’s worth getting more info on the proposed chemo types as they may not have the impact you anticipate. I can’t remember the names of his medicines, there were several different ones. And it has reduced the size of his tumour.

Thinking of you and your mum. Kind Regards.

twigsie
    Participant

Thanks guys. We’ve had some good news today, we went back to the hospital to see the nurses who told us they had sent my moms details to the QE hospital in Bham for a second opinion and they think they can opterate to remove the tumour. She has an appointment with them this Friday so we have everything crossed. We know there’s a long way to go and it will be major surgery but it’s hope. I must say the nurses were excellent, I couldn’t do their job, I just burst into tears again when they told us.

twigsie
    Participant

Thanks guys. We’ve had some good news today, we went back to the hospital to see the nurses who told us they had sent my moms details to the QE hospital in Bham for a second opinion and they think they can opterate to remove the tumour. She has an appointment with them this Friday so we have anything crossed. We know there’s a long way to go and it will be major surgery but it’s hope. I must say the nurses were excellent, I couldn’t do their job, I just burst into tears again when they told us. 

JW1969
    Participant

Hi Twigsie, this is positive news, everything crossed for you all on Friday.  My dad has his surgery a week on Friday. Friday clearly is the day!

Good luck.

twigsie
    Participant

Thank you, I saw your post about your dads op. I have everything crossed for you, please let me know how it goes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.