Following the Cholangiocarcinoma Workshop organised and hosted by Professor Nigel Heaton on Friday 19th January, Dr Shahid Khan introduced the Cholangiocarcinoma-UK group to the audience.
The mission statement for Cholangiocarcinoma-UK, a group affiliated to the British Association for the Study of Liver Disease (a BASL Special Interest Group) is:
“Cholangiocarcinoma-UK is a multi-disciplinary group of clinicians, scientists and patient advocates whose purpose is to facilitate collaborative research, enhance service development and raise the awareness of cholangiocarcinoma.”
The aims of the group are to:
- Facilitate basic science and clinical research as well as sample collection, including for biomarker development.
- Improve the pathway to collaborative clinical trials and opportunities for research funding
- Update national guidelines and advise on policy and best practice
- Optimise and standardise clinical management across the country
- Monitor epidemiological trends accurately
The first face-to-face meeting of the Working Committee for Cholangiocarcinoma-UK will take place at AMMF’s Cholangiocarcinoma Conference on 10 May, 2018, with the group’s inaugural conference taking place later in the year.
Members of the Working Committee for Cholangiocarcinoma-UK are:
- Working Chair – Dr Shahid A Khan (Imperial)
- Secretary – Professsor Derek Manas (Newcastle)
- Basic Science – Professor David Bates (Nottingham)
- Clinical Oncology – Professor Maria Hawkins (Oxford)
- Endoscopy – Professor Stephen Pereira (UCL)
- Hepatology – Dr Simon Rushbrook (Norfolk & Norwich
- Medical Oncology – Professor John Bridgewater (UCL)
- Medical Oncology – Professor Juan Valle (Manchester)
- Patient Advocate – Helen Morement (AMMF)
- Surgery – Mr Hassan Malik (Liverpool)
- Surgery – Professor Nigel Heaton (Kings)
- Trainee Representative (Gastro) – Dr Geri Kean (London)